Friday, April 27, 2012

CAPTIVATE by Carrie Jones

Captivate
Carrie Jones

Rating: B
Synopsis from goodreads.com:
Zara and her friends knew they hadn't solved the pixie problem for good. Far from it. The king's needs grow deeper every day he's stuck in captivity, while his control over his people gets weaker. It's made him vulnerable. And now there's a new king in town.

A turf war is imminent, since the new pixie king, Astley, is moving in quickly. Nick nearly killed him in the woods on day one, but Zara came to his rescue. Astley swears that he and Zara are destined to be together, that he's one of the good guys. Nick isn't buying it, though Zara isn't as sure -- despite herself, she wants to trust the new king. But it's a lot more than her relationship with Nick that is at stake. It's her life -- and his.


Only click read more if you've read Need because there are Need spoilers in the review!




My thoughts on the book:
Captivate picks up where Need left off with Zara having locked up all of the evil pixies in their house in the woods. Zara made a big mistake by not killing them, and the pixies are growing angrier each day they're trapped. This book was enjoyable, and I really loved the new character additions. The plot kept me reading, and I was invested in the story. Jones' writing was still a bit clumsy, though. I think some of the weird wording is supposed to be just how Zara talks, but some of it is just obnoxious. It pulls me out of the story. I kind of wonder what editor they could possibly be using in order to have phrases like the ones that are in this book. That aside, though, this is an excellent story. 


Zara and Nick's relationship has developed quickly, and they're kind of sickly sweet. I don't really like Nick in this book, and he seems to have forgotten Zara's name because he only calls her "baby." He's kind of obnoxious. Devyn isn't half as interesting as he was in the last book either, but he does play a bigger role in this story. Issie is still one of my favorites, and I still love Betty. We didn't get to see much of Betty, though. I'd like to know more about Mrs. Nix, but she remains a minor character. I LOVE the two new additions to the series, though, Cassidy and Astley. Astley is amazing! He's my favorite character in the entire series. Cassidy is also interesting, and I really like her. I have a feeling she's going to play a big part in the next book. 


The plot is pretty action-packed, and there is enough suspense to keep you interested. It's a bit of a roller coaster ride, and some parts are really sad. However, the book ends with hope, and that's all you can ask for. The pacing is spot on, and I wasn't bored at all. I never felt like the story dragged. As I mentioned, the wording was a bit clumsy, and I felt that many phrases were too wordy. That caused me to stumble over some phrases, but it still didn't slow down the pace of the story. The ending ties up a lot of loose ends, but still leaves some questions open for Endure. I didn't feel like it was a cliffhanger, but I am ready to see what happens next. 


Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of faeries, pixies, and shifters. Things are getting really interesting up in Maine, and you do not want to miss out on the action!


Want to buy Captivate?
Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository

2 comments:

  1. Great review!

    I know what you mean about Nick, he just isn't that interesting to me and like you said he is kinda obnoxious. I love Astley though and really hope that she ends up with him. He just seemed so much more interesting and charming in his own cute and quirky way(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to punch Nick, haha. I ADORE Astley, though. I hope she ends up with him as well. Ever since the Nightshade trilogy ending, I'm scared of who people are going to end up with, though. Love triangle anxiety now or something, haha. Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!