Thursday, May 17, 2012

DARK KISS by Michelle Rowen

Dark Kiss
Michelle Rowen

Rating: A-
Release Date: 05/29/12
Synopsis from goodreads.com:
I don't do dangerous.  Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me.... NIGHTWATCHERS When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...


My thoughts on the book:
Wow, this book was pretty awesome. Dark Kiss is the right blend of romance, action, and suspense. It's a definite page turner. I read this entire novel in one sitting because I could not wait to see what happened next! The characters are believable and easy to relate to, and the plot is intriguing. The story idea itself is unique, and I had no idea what was going to happen next. I cannot wait for the sequel! 


Rowen created a rich world with captivating characters. I enjoyed reading about all of the characters, even the bad ones. Each character had his or her own personality, and each one had his or her own voice. The story was told from Samantha's POV, and she is a likable character. It wasn't terrible being inside her head. She isn't some whiny emo girl. She takes charge and does what she has to do. Bishop is an extremely flawed hero, but I couldn't help liking him as well. My absolute favorite character, though, is Kraven. He's hilarious. I love his snarky attitude. 


The world-building was excellent, and I feel that I have a pretty good grasp of the world Rowen created. She did a terrific job of explaining things without including information dumps, which I hate in books. I got to learn about the world right along with Samantha, but Sam didn't ask a ton of dumb questions, so it wasn't annoying. Also, the world Rowen created is unique. These angels and demons are unlike any angels and demons that I've encountered in the YA angel literature. The rules are different, and good and evil doesn't seem to be as clearly defined as they are in a lot of the books. Trinity, New York, is an intriguing place, and I can't wait to read more about it. 


Rowen's writing was good, but her overuse of the word "flippant" got on my nerves a bit. I hope that will be edited out of the finished edition. Half of what was said was said in a "flippant way." It got to be annoying after about the fifth "flippant" in a row. Other than that, I enjoyed her writing. The pacing was spot on, and I never felt bored. The plot was suspenseful and kept me on the edge of my seat. I had no idea what was going to happen next, and that doesn't happen to me often with books. Usually I can predict the ending, but I had no idea what was coming in this novel. That was refreshing. Furthermore, the ending tied everything up nicely without a cliffhanger. Things were left open for a sequel, but the main questions raised in this novel were answered by the end. I appreciate it when an author does that. 


Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys any form of paranormal story, but is tired of the typical angel book. Dark Kiss is an amazing and unique novel that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very last page. Be prepared to lose sleep with this one. 

Want to pre-order Dark Kiss?
Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!