Saturday, May 26, 2012

Stacking the Shelves #4

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by  Tynga's Reviews! This meme showcases the books received, bought, or checked out from the library over the course of the past week.  




Purchased:
Squeeeeeeee I'm so excited about this... I hugged it when the UPS guy dropped it off.



A signed copy of Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

This is one of my favorite books! To read my review of it, click here

Synopsis from goodreads.com:
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. 

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting asThe Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.
 

Books Won:
I was so excited to win this book! This completes my Kelley Armstrong YA collection! After I receive Hidden (ordered it yesterday) and Thirteen comes out, I'll have every paranormal Kelley Armstrong book ever released! I have this book on my Kindle and I LOVED it, but I wanted it for my shelf collection as well. Weeeee! She's my favorite author, so I'm very proud of my Kelley collection!

The Gathering
By: Kelley Armstrong
Won from the awesome blog, http://kismetkayla.blogspot.com/
Synopsis from goodreads.com:
Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.

Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.

From the library:
I love our library. Durham is kind of small, and there are like six libraries, so it's pretty easy to get new releases rather quickly. This book is a freaking beast. 534 pages. I hope it's good, otherwise I will be SO bored. 

City of Lost Souls
By: Cassandra Clare
Synopsis from goodreads.com:
The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed, and bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.

No magic the Clave can summon can locate either boy, but Jace cannot stay away—not from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith’s dying magic has wrought—Jace is no longer the boy she loved. He and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become what he most feared: a true servant of Valentine’s evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. Will the Shadowhunters hesitate to kill one of their own?

Only a small band of Clary and Jace’s friends and family believe that Jace can still be saved — and that the fate of the Shadowhunters’ future may hinge on that salvation. They must defy the Clave and strike out on their own. Alec, Magnus, Simon and Isabelle must work together to save Jace: bargaining with the sinister Faerie Queen, contemplating deals with demons, and turning at last to the Iron Sisters, the reclusive and merciless weapons makers for the Shadowhunters, who tell them that no weapon on this earth can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. Their only chance of cutting Jace free is to challenge Heaven and Hell — a risk that could claim any, or all, of their lives.

And they must do it without Clary. For Clary has gone into the heart of darkness, to play a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing the game is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she even still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

That's it for me. What did you guys add to your shelves this week?




11 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your signed copy of Shatter Me. I haven't read it yet myself, but I hear nothing but good things of it. :) And I'm also jealous that you got CoLS, I've been dying to read it ever since it came out!

    My book haul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting a signed copy of Shatter Me! It's still on my TBR list, but I've heard great things about it! I hope you enjoy all you got :)

    Here's my STS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the books you got this week! I don't think I'll ever end up with a signed copy of a book I really want... ever ): The downfalls of living in NZ. lol. Congrats on winning the giveaway!

    - Kim
    My Haul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for signed books! and that is an amazing one!
    Enjoy your newbies this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great set! Yay for City of Lost Souls. I can't wait to read it.
    My Bookish Recap

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! A signed copy of Shatter Me!! I got one back in January and it's one of my most prized books! Congrats on winning The Gathering! I still haven't started any of Kelley's books and I need to do that soon, the covers are gorgeous! I MUST get to TMI series :) Enjoy your reads!
    My Haul

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Shatter Me sitting on my to-read shelf so I'm sure you'd be telling me that I should read it asap! I will try and get to it soon, I've heard good things ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great haul! I loved Shatter Me! I still have to read the Gathering, though, and it looks so good! Hope you enjoy all your books!

    Check out my Stacking the Shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got an ebook of Shatter Me ages ago and I still haven't read it! Don't know what my problem is. I've also got a copy of City of Lost Souls. :)

    My Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need to buy City Of Lost Souls! Happy reading! :)

    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's pretty awesome that you now have a signed copy of Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me! I also really loved that book too. Happy reading!

    Liz -> my Stacking the Shelves post

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!