Monday, October 8, 2012

DESTROY ME by Tahereh Mafi

Destroy Me
Tahereh Mafi

Rating: A+
Synopsis:
Perfect for the fans of Shatter Me who are desperately awaiting the release of Unravel Me, this novella-length digital original will bridge the gap between these two novels from the perspective of the villain we all love to hate, Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .

Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.

Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me, Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.


My thoughts on the book:
When Tahereh Mafi claimed that this book would make readers love Warren, I thought she was full of shit. Seriously. I mean I love Mafi. She's one of my favorite authors and wrote one of my all-time favorite books, but I just couldn't believe that I could possibly love Warren. I literally despised him in Shatter Me. I thought he was one twisted mofo. So imagine my surprise when I actually started to feel bad for the guy. 

Destroy Me allowed me to get inside Warren's head and see why he's so creepy and awful. It surprised me that I was actually able to relate to him. Turns out he's not as bad as he seems. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. There was a part at the end that just stole my heart. I'm still not team Warren, mind you, but if Adam does something jerky, then I will be. 

The plot obviously deals with Warren trying to find Juliette, and it's intense in a different way than most books. Basically it's like watching a train wreck and not being able to turn away. Warren's mind seems to be breaking, and it was a bit disconcerting to witness it firsthand. Mafi, of course, did a terrific job of putting the reader inside of Warren's head, and he has his own very unique voice. 

Now that I've read Destroy Me, I extra, super can't wait until Unravel Me is out. Well done, Tahereh.

Want to buy Destroy Me?






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!