Monday, November 26, 2012

TRAPPED by Kevin Hearne

Trapped
Kevin Hearne

Rating: A
Release Date: 11/27/12
Synopsis:
After twelve years of secret training, Atticus O’Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he’s still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave.
 
Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Irish wolfhound, Oberon, and Granuaile travel to the base of Mount Olympus, where the Roman god Bacchus is anxious to take his sworn revenge—but he’ll have to get in line behind an ancient vampire, a band of dark elves, and an old god of mischief, who all seem to have KILL THE DRUID at the top of their to-do lists.


My thoughts on the book:
Trapped was a fantastic addition to the Iron Druid series! It was definitely one of my favorite in this series. While I generally don't like reading books with male protagonists because I can't relate to them, I love Atticus dearly. This book had all of the things I love about this series (minus Coyote... I do love a trickster), but in larger quantities. If you love this series, you must have this book. If you're curious about the series, start at the beginning (obviously), but this book is still a must-have! If you're not sure if this series is for you, I'd definitely recommend it to fans of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. 

The character development in the Iron Druid Chronicles has always astounded me, and this installment was no exception. Atticus somehow managed to grow throughout the course of the novel, even though it took place twelve years down the road from the last book. Granuaile also evolved, and I've always I really liked her character. And who doesn't love Oberon? I mean, come on! Oberon is my favorite character, for sure. 

Another thing I really loved about this novel was that it went really in depth with the mythology surrounding all of the characters/worlds. As those of you who have read Hearne's work know, he has incorporated vampires, lycanthropes, elves, the fae, etc. into this series, and as the series progresses, he includes more details about all of the mythology. This novel had more mythology than the previous ones, and I enjoyed that. 

The plot was, of course, an action-packed thrill ride. There was not one dull moment in the entire novel. I was kept on the edge of my seat for the entire book, and I could not put it down. If you want a quick, intense read, then this book is for you. Some of Atticus' issues were solved at the end of this book, but there are still enough problems for the next book, don't worry.

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves the Dresden Files, or just urban fantasy in general. You'll fall in love with the characters, and the plot is amazing. You do not want to miss this novel!

Want to order Trapped?



1 comment:

  1. My friend has been asking me to start this series for a while now but I've always been iffy on it because I'm usually not one for male protagonists either! But after reading your review, I definitely wanna give it a shot. xD

    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!