Friday, January 4, 2013

ASUNDER by Jodi Meadows

Asunder
Jodi Meadows

Rating: A
Synopsis:
DARKSOULS
Ana has always been the only one. Asunder. Apart. But after Templedark, when many residents of Heart were lost forever, some hold Ana responsible for the darksouls–and the newsouls who may be born in their place.

SHADOWS
Many are afraid of Ana’s presence, a constant reminder of unstoppable changes and the unknown. When sylph begin behaving differently toward her and people turn violent, Ana must learn to stand up not only for herself but for those who cannot stand up for themselves.

LOVE
Ana was told that nosouls can’t love. But newsouls? More than anything, she wants to live and love as an equal among the citizens of Heart, but even when Sam professes his deepest feelings, it seems impossible to overcome a lifetime of rejection.

In this second book in the Incarnate trilogy, Ana discovers the truth about reincarnation and will have to find a way to embrace love and make her young life meaningful. Once again, Jodi Meadows explores the extraordinary beauty and shadowed depths of the soul in a story equal parts epic romance and captivating fantasy.


My thoughts on the book:
Asunder by Jodi Meadows is an excellent follow-up to Incarnate! The fascinating world that Meadows created continued to grow in this sequel. Characters developed, new problems emerged, and new battles were waged. In my opinion, this book was even better than Incarnate. If you loved the first book, or just enjoy Utopian novels (no, I didn't mean to say Dystopian, I meant to say Utopian), then Asunder is for you!

Ana had grown since the last novel, and she was more aware of social situations (thankfully). She was still socially awkward, but she was improving. She was also much stronger and more determined, which I liked. She's turning into a terrific female lead. 

We also got to know Sam and the supporting characters a bit better. Sam really got on  my nerves throughout the novel, though, because he acted like an idiot. You would think after 5,000 years that he'd learn not to let what others think influence his behavior, but he still cared what people thought. Sometimes, Ana seemed more grown up than he did. I have to admit that I don't like a couple of the characters as much as I did in the first novel. Some of them are a bit two-faced. We also got to meet new characters. My favorite was Cris. 

This amazing world that Meadows created continued to expand. We were introduced to more newsouls in this installment, and we got to learn more about them. Also, more information was given about the mysterious sylphs, and there is a big revelation about them at the end. Furthermore, Ana faced off against Janan again, and we learned more about who he really is and his history. I must say, he's one of the creepiest bad guys out there. There are just no words. Through learning about Janan, we also learned some of the Heart residents' dirty secrets. Moreover, the pacing of the book, and the series, is perfect. Meadows reveals just enough without dragging things out.

Overall, I'd recommend this book, and series, to anyone. This is a terrific fantasy world, with a hint of paranormal. We have reincarnation, dragons, and sylphs. What more could a person ask for? If you haven't read Incarnate yet, give this series a try. If you have read Incarnate, then be sure to pick up Asunder the second it's released. You won't be sorry.

Pre-order Asunder!





3 comments:

  1. Good to know Asunder is better than Incarnate! I wasn't a big fan of the first book, but now I'm curious xD
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have not read this series yet. But I love the premise and the idea and the gorgeous covers.
    GREAT review.
    I am so adding it to my TBR
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just reread Incarnate. Now I'm dying for Asunder! I can't wait to continue the series :). I'm sad to hear Sam is acting a little on the immature side because I really loved him in the first one <3. I'm sure I will still love him a little bit :). It's good to hear that Ana has grown, she needed that. Amazing review!

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!