Monday, January 14, 2013

UNRAVEL ME by Tahereh Mafi

Unravel Me
Tahereh Mafi

Rating: A+
Release Date: 02/05/13
Synopsis:
tick, tick, tick, tick, tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.


My thoughts on the book:
Unravel Me is a beautifully written masterpiece. Mafi does not disappoint with the second installment of this series. The characters are fantastic and evolve naturally, the plot is suspenseful and emotional, and the pacing is perfect. This captivating sequel will take you on an emotional roller-coaster ride that you won't forget as you get to know new sides of characters you thought you had figured out. Unravel Me cannot be missed. 

Mafi's writing is even more unbelievably poetic, tortured, and beautiful in this book. I don't know how she does it. Life inside Juliette's head is poetic and painful, but addictive. No wonder Warner kept reading her journal. Her words are magical. The descriptions and her expressive feelings really spoke to me, and I was hooked from the first page. 

Juliette grew a lot as a character over the course of this novel. She got on my nerves some at the very beginning because she was just so weak and defeated. It made me sad for her and also irritated me because she couldn't seem to snap out of her funk. However, she is extremely self-aware, and she made the hard choices needed in order to grow. I really love how she began to create her own space in the world. 

Adam annoyed the ever living crap out of me in this book. Oh my God, he was such an emo/angsty brat! And clingy. Dear Lord was he clingy. I'm not sure if he was supposed to come across that way or not, but I was not his biggest fan. Warner, however, blew me away. I have completely switched from Team Adam to Team Warner. I thought Warner was the ultimate bad guy, but the more I got to know about him (through Destroy Me and now through Unravel Me), the more I loved him. And at least he acts like a man and not some spoiled 10 year old girl who broke her favorite Barbie. His character growth and development really blew my mind. It's just shocking that he has so many layers. I really can't wait to learn more about him. 

The plot was action-packed, emotional, and suspenseful. Mafi threw in a ton of surprises, and I was blindsided on more than one occasion. However, all of the surprises made sense and came across naturally instead of forced. The plot was intricate and intense, but I had no problems following it. The pacing was perfect, too. The book flowed from one event to the next. Also, the ending really got my hopes up for book 3, and I wish it was out now. I can't wait until it's released!

Overall, I'd recommend this book (and Shatter Me and Destroy Me) to anyone who enjoys Dystopian novels with beautiful writing. If you're looking for something different, and something with meaning, then this series is for you. I do have to warn you about one thing, though... you will lose sleep with this book.

Pre-order Unravel Me




1 comment:

  1. So excited for this one! The wait is almost over :). Sad to hear that Adam bothered you so much. I liked him in the first book but, I've seen that a lot of people are turning Team Warner. I'll have to see who I end up liking better! Amazing review <3

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!