Wednesday, July 17, 2013

MIDNIGHT FROST by Jennifer Estep

Midnight Frost
Jennifer Estep

Rating: A+
Release Date: 07/23/13
Synopsis:
Here we go again … 

Just when it seems life at Mythos Academy can’t get any more dangerous, the Reapers of Chaos manage to prove me wrong. It was just a typical night at the Library of Antiquities — until a Reaper tried to poison me. The good news is I’m still alive and kicking. The bad news is the Reaper poisoned someone else instead. 

As Nike’s Champion, everyone expects me to lead the charge against the Reapers, even though I’m still hurting over what happened with Spartan warrior Logan Quinn. I’ve got to get my hands on the antidote fast — otherwise, an innocent person will die. But the only known cure is hidden in some creepy ruins — and the Reapers are sure to be waiting for me there …


My thoughts on the book:
I adore the Mythos Academy novels, and Midnight Frost is one of my favorite books in the series. Gwen really grows in this story, and the plot, world-building, and introduction of new creatures and problems kept me engaged throughout the entire novel. Estep has a wonderful voice, and her descriptions make you feel as if you're actually in the locations she describes and not just reading about them. This is one summer read that you won't want to miss!

Gwen grows a lot in this novel, and she really shows her strength. Logan is gone, and her heart is broken, but instead of laying down and dying, she fights for her friends' and for humanity in general. She never stops to feel sorry for herself proving that she's no Bella Swan. She does what she has to do, and I really admire her for that. She's an extremely mature and emotionally balanced character, and that is refreshing in this genre. There's not enough Logan in this book for me (obviously since he's gone), but I understand why he and Gwen need to be apart. Gwen is really learning to stand on her own, and she needs that. I'm also happy to report that Gwen didn't over-question every single thing like she did in the last installment. She seemed much more intelligent this time around. Daphne, Carson, and the gang aren't as present as I'd like either. I always enjoy reading about Gwen's interactions with her friends. I mean they're there physically, but there isn't a lot of interaction between them and Gwen. This novel is more about Gwen's personal journey and her dealing with some secrets that she didn't know existed. Some new characters and creatures are introduced, and Estep did a fantastic job as painting them all as complete and unique beings. 

The plot is intense and kept me on the edge of my seat. Every time I thought things couldn't get worse for poor Gwen, something else happened. The romance is obviously lacking in this installment, but there is a ton of action to keep the reader fully engaged. I wasn't bored once, and the pacing is perfect. The ending wraps up a lot of what happened in the previous two novels, but leaves plenty of room for the series to continue. 

Overall, I'd recommend this novel and series to anyone who enjoys good YA mythology-inspired books. Estep is one of my favorite authors, and her books just keep getting better. Give this series a try, you won't be sorry.

Pre-order Midnight Frost!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!