Saturday, August 9, 2014

GUILD ASSASSIN: CURSE BREAKER by Berley Kerr

Rating: DNF
Synopsis:
Wendy Magdalena Braca lived in a Victorian mansion under three moons in Jupiter City. But her privileged upbringing falters when after the death of her father and the murder of her mother, she is shipped away to Greenleaf Asylum for Troubled Girls and lived there for years until she is “rescued” by a strange guild that shows Wendy their world; the world of Guild Assassins made up of the Cæcus (normal humans), the Validus (magic-users), and Half-Breeds (demi-gods). In this world, Wendy discovers she is the most special and powerful Validus known to exist, the Curse Breaker.

My thoughts on the book:
Guild Assassin: Curse Breaker had the potential to be an amazing and unique book. However, after about 50-something pages, I simply could not continue. I was bored to tears. 

For starters, I could not connect to Wendy. There was no heart to her character. I had no idea what she was feeling ever because no feelings were discussed. She was very robotic. I didn't care what happened to her because she didn't seem real. 

The writing was bad. Kerr told everything and didn't show anything, ever. The settings were so overly-described that my eyes started glazing over, yet the world-building was lacking. I didn't understand much about the world. That could have changed as the book progressed, but since I couldn't make myself finish it, I didn't know. Also, the pacing was slow and the events that did happen felt forced. The book didn't flow. 

I was hoping for a good steampunk/sci-fi masterpiece, but that wasn't what I got. Feel free to give this one a try. You may like it more than I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!